Saturday, February 03, 2007

Lessons in the real world

I think if I have learned anything over the past 4 months it is that leadership is hard. I think that is the reason that there is so much discussion on the topic. I work in a very dynamic program. There is so much going on all the time. I am so busy that most days it is 3:00 pm before I even recognize it. I have to force myself to take a break. There are so many things that come at me and that I have to make a decision about that it is incredible. That is where the value of what I have learned through my interaction in the blogging community has served me well. It can be so easy to lose your sense of direction. All the discussions about passion and integrity have helped immensely. The concepts of Simplicity and not settling for good, but making it great, have come to mind many times. I guess the biggest lesson that has been reinforced with me is that I am in no way an expert. I have found that there are so many things that I don’t know and even more that I am not good at. I have also learned that leadership is being able to recognize these things and be OK with it. The best lesson I have learned thus far is that leadership is not being so good at things that you are not replaceable. Leadership is knowing your limitations and becoming the most replaceable person in the organization. I have had to learn how to trust my employees and allow them to do their jobs. If they can do their jobs then they will cover for my weaknesses. If I try to make it so that I cannot be replaced, that is ultimately what will happen.
This whole thing of leadership is much harder than it sounds. Thank goodness I have my global support group to learn from and to gain strength through their vast experience and knowledge. It is good to be able to test leadership principles in the real world. I feel like I am more of a student now than ever before. I am loving it and ready to learn more. Lets blog on.

No comments: